What's In This Article
When you are a new parent, one of the hardest decisions you need to make is which formula to give your baby.
If you are not breastfeeding then the formula will be your baby’s only source of nutrition until you can start to wean them onto solid food.
You need to make sure that your baby is getting everything they need from the formula.
Choosing a formula can be tricky as some babies have sensitive tummies or are born with allergies.
There might be some ingredients in a particular brand that don’t agree with your little one. So which formula should you choose?
Enfamil is one of the most popular brands of formula and it is the brand of formula most commonly recommended by pediatricians in the United States.
We have put together this useful comparison to help you understand the difference between Neuropro and Gentlease. Keep reading to find out more.
Who Are Enfamil?
Enfamil was founded in the early 1960s by Dr. Robert E. Sears who wanted to create a formula that would meet the needs of an infant.
He developed a formula based on breast milk but also included other nutrients like iron, zinc, and vitamin D.
It has been around ever since and is now owned by Mead Johnson Nutrition.
The company produces many different types of products including infant formula, follow-on formula, toddler formula, and even adult nutritional supplements.
They also produce several other products such as vitamins, minerals, protein powders, and probiotics.
The main thing Enfamil does is provide infants with essential nutrients that they need to grow healthy.
This includes things like calcium, phosphorus, potassium, magnesium, sodium, chloride, iodine, copper, zinc, niacin, riboflavin, thiamine, pantothenic acid, folic acid, biotin, and vitamin B.
All About Neuropro
Let’s start by taking a look at Neuropro and what its features are.
What Is Neuropro?
The Neuropro formula is designed to support a baby’s brain development. It contains special proteins called glutamine and arginine that work together to promote growth and learning.
These amino acids are found naturally in human breast milk. However, when a mother stops producing enough breast milk, these amino acids become harder to get into her baby’s body.
That’s why Enfamil created this formula. It helps to ensure that your baby gets all the necessary nutrients they need to develop properly.
What Are The Key Features Of Neuropro?
Neuropro sensitivity can be used for all of your baby’s nutritional needs for up to a year.
The formula contains milk fat globule membrane, a naturally occurring ingredient that comes from whey protein which is vital for brain development.
It also has plenty of Omega 3 to support the brain and a blend of probiotics to help your baby develop a strong immune system.
What Are The Main Benefits Of Neuropro?
There are lots of reasons why Neuropro would be an excellent choice of formula for your baby:
- This product has been thoroughly researched by the team at Enfamil, so you know that it is of a good standard and is designed to benefit the development of your baby.
- It is really easy to use and blends well with liquid to create a smooth mixture.
- The combination of ingredients and probiotics is carefully designed to mimic the natural properties of breast milk, helping to support your baby’s immune system as well as their brain development.
- No GMOs are used in the ingredients of this formula, which makes it safe for your baby and the environment.
What Are The Biggest Downsides Of Neuropro?
Whilst Neuropro is an excellent product, there are a few downsides that you should consider:
- This formula is not made entirely out of organic ingredients. If you are trying to stick to an organic diet for your baby then this might not be the right choice for you.
- Neuropro is not hypoallergenic which means that it could be unsuitable for certain babies. There is an alternative version called Neuropro sensitive which might be more suitable.
- This product contains palm oil. Not only is the production of palm oil very unsustainable and damaging to the environment, but palm oil is also known to cause constipation.
- Due to the popularity of this product, it is often out of stock with certain sellers, so you may have issues getting hold of it.
All About Gentlease
Next, we are going to take a look at the key features of Gentlease.
What Is Gentlease?
Gentlease is another popular formula on the market. Although it doesn’t contain any of the same key benefits as Neuropro, it still offers some great advantages.
It is designed for babies who are suffering from colic and a build-up of gas. It is gentle on tummies and is great for reducing the issue of wind and discomfort after feeding. It still provides a lot of important nutrients that your baby needs.
What Are The Key Features Of Gentlease?
This formula contains a blend of two probiotics to help support your baby’s developing immune system.
It also contains choline and DHA which are very important for brain development. It is a full nutritional product, providing everything your baby needs in their first year of life.
It also has no artificial sweeteners, flavorings, or colors which makes it a safe choice for your baby.
What Are The Main Benefits Of Gentlease?
There are plenty of features that make Gentlease an excellent choice:
- This formula dissolves easily into liquid and is very easy to measure, mix and prepare.
- Gentlease provides your baby with all of the nutrition they will need up until they are months old, so you don’t need to use it in conjunction with any other products.
- There is no added sugar in this formula, so you don’t have to worry about your baby getting too much sugar or becoming overweight.
- The proteins used in this formula are easy to digest, even for babies with sensitive tummies. This means that they will be more comfortable and have less wind during and after feeding.
What Are The Biggest Downsides Of Gentlease?
There are a few features of Gentlease which are not so desirable:
- This is not an organic product, so it is not suitable for families who want to use organic products only.
- Gentlease is not hypoallergenic so if your baby has allergies then this product may not be a good choice for them.
- There are some ingredients in this formula that certain parents try to stay away from, such as corn syrup, soy, dairy, and vegetable oils.
- If your baby struggles with acid reflux then this formula might not be ideal as it is not designed to counteract this.
Which Formula Should You Choose?
We recommend choosing either Neuropro or Gentlease depending on what your baby needs.
Both formulas offer a wide range of benefits and both are equally effective. Both formulas will give your baby all of the nutrition that they need for their first year.
If your baby struggles with wind, colic, or has digestive issues then you should try them on Gentlease. This is a great option for babies with sensitive tummies. If brain development is your top priority then Neuropro would be your best option.
Enfamil also offers other formula products, so if your baby has any other specific needs like allergies then you should see if there is a more suitable formula for them.
You should always buy a small amount of formula initially to see if it agrees with your baby and their digestive system.
You don’t want to bulk buy a particular formula only to find out that it is not the right one for your baby. Once you know that the formula is alright then you can buy more.
You can use a combination of different formulas if you want to utilize all of the different features and benefits.
However, this can get expensive and complicated and switching formulas might upset your baby’s stomach.
You should let their system get used to a particular product. There isn’t any need to use more than one type of formula, as long as the product you are using is a complete nutrition option and gives your baby everything that they need.
Read More: Enfamil Enspire Vs Neuropro
How To Prepare Formula
The exact directions for preparing formulas will vary from product to product. You should always check the packaging for the formula that you have purchased and carefully read the instructions.
Make sure that you are using a sterilized bottle to prepare the formula. It is best to use water that has boiled and cooled rather than water straight from the faucet, as the boiling process kills off any bacteria which makes the water safer for your baby.
Always check the temperature of the formula carefully before you give it to your baby, as you don’t want them to burn their mouths.
Some parents prefer to give their baby formula that has been chilled in the refrigerator whereas others use room temperature formula or even feed when the formula is slightly warm to replicate breast milk.
Once the formula has been mixed into a liquid it will not last very long. It should be used within one hour of preparation if kept at room temperature, or within two hours of preparation if kept in the refrigerator.
Both Neuropro and Gentlease are very good formulas from the Enfamil brand. They both provide complete nutrition for your baby and would make an excellent choice. Which one is best depends on the individual needs of your baby.
Carly Link, a 33-year old mother of two toddlers. She is a parent and goes through a lot of the usual parenting difficulties herself. Carly shares all her experiences and knowledge about the best baby products through this blog.