Welcome Meet Poppy previous customers and caregivers!
Did you know The Baby Post acquired Meet Poppy after discontinuing its services as of December 4, 2018?
Prior to closing the business, Poppy partnered with Sittercity (which is our #1 pick on our “Best Babysitter Website” list) to offer Poppy families and caregivers another option to go to if they wish.
Avni and the Poppy team stated, “in getting to know Elizabeth, the CEO of Sittercity, and her team, we’ve found a similar passion for solving this problem using thoughtful technology. We’ll share more details on this by the end of this week”.
Update: UrbanSitter also graciously reached out with a helpful offer to the Poppy community to give families and caregivers the option to choose what works best for them.
If you were looking for a flexible way to earn great money while doing what you do best – caring for children Meet Poppy was your place to find your next gig.
You’re looking for rave-worthy caregivers without having to worry about vetting and managing schedules, Meet Poppy was the best babysitting website that was available until they closed.
How Poppy Worked
Poppy connected families to the modern village they deserve, here’s how the process worked.
Tell us when you need care. We’ll take it from there.
Poppy matches based on age of kids, neighborhood and fit.
Share feedback post-booking to favorite your Poppies and improve future matches.
Keep in mind, that vetting babysitters is hard and Poppy did it for you.
Making sure caregivers are qualified and trustworthy was one of the most important things they did at Poppy. The website was good for babies, toddlers and kids because the gathered the data and built the expertise over thousands of applicants to know exactly what to look for.
All Poppies completed:
- In-person interviews
- 3 glowing childcare references
- Background checks at the county, state & federal level
- Valid and up-to-date CPR / First Aid Certification
How Families Used Poppy
LARRY & TOM
“We use poppy for mainly date nights and other times when we need care.”
date nights/ events, occasional gaps in care, errands/ appointments
TARA & STEPHEN
“We don’t have family in Seattle, and both work full time, so Poppy saves us when we can’t call on anyone else!!”
errands/ appointments, flexible work time
“With Poppy I’ve never had to worry about a thing, and my daughter has loved every sitter she’s had. I honestly don’t know what I would do without it, it is an invaluable resource.”
AMY & RICHARD
“With no family close by we rely on Poppy as our primary source of childcare for daycare when Mamma needs a break, date nights and appointments/errands.”
backup care, date nights/ events, errands/ appointments
Frequently Asked Questions
- Why did MeetPoppy.com close it's business?In an interview with GeekWire, Patel Thompson said the company was unable to find a sustainable and scalable business model that could keep prices low for parents and pay caregivers adequately. The unit economics with its on-demand marketplace and larger macro issues with the childcare industry — what parents are willing to pay and what caregivers expect to earn — made it difficult for Poppy to grow revenue and margins, even with the help of technology. “The economics weren’t sustainable to not only continue but to scale, which is important for us as a venture-backed company,” Patel Thompson said in a phone interview.
- What are the best alternatives to MeetPoppy.com?A number of online babysitting services have emerged and figured out how to build a sustainable and cost-effective business for people searching for caregivers as well as caregivers that are looking to connect with these parents. The top 3 nanny websites and apps are the following.
- How much did Poppy cost?Poppy was a membership model to join the website and access its network of caregivers. Poppy’s membership of $8/month gave you unlimited access to book caregivers. You could Pause or Cancel anytime from your account. Rates for caregivers started at $17/hr for one child. Infant rates start at $24/hr with a Poppy Pro.
Poppy Sitter - Rates started at $17/hr
- Babysitting experience with multiple families
- Care for kids ages 2 and up
Poppy Pro - Rates started at $20/hr
- Diverse & deep childcare experience, often as full-time professional nannies
- Care for kids ages two months and up